Never Did Me Any Harm

Discuss or comment on current television programmes. You are welcome to post anything about your favourite TV programme past or present, to just daily chit chat about current events.
The_Boss
Site Admin

Never Did Me Any Harm

Postby The_Boss » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:23 pm

Never Did Me Any Harm- Part One

This new four part series is for every parent who has ever said “it wasn’t like that when I was young…” In a unique social history experiment, four modern families turn back the clock for two weeks so that their children can live as their parents did when they were young - without the trappings of technology. The opening film features the Gregory family from Milton Keynes. Dad, Jon, does not get any respect from his kids, Hannah 12 and Joshua 10. He wants life to be more like the 1970s when he was growing up on a Leeds council estate, when children knew their place. But when he recreates his strict childhood for his own children, they are not giving up without a fight. They hate the 1970s camper van, trips to the allotment, daily piano practice and tight budget. But will they come to realise why Jon’s childhood made him the man and dad he is today, and why it never did him any harm?
Dir: Zizi Durrance; Series Prod: Susan Crook.

Never Did Me Any Harm - Part Two
In the second of our new social history series, Peter Gunn is so concerned that freedom and the pursuit of individuality is driving his four sons apart, that he decides to take them back to his 1950s childhood. For boys growing up then, it was a time of conformity, strict rules and manly pursuits. So that means short back and sides for Theo, Henry, George and Joe – as well enforced Sunday outings, boxing lessons and some very retro home furnishings. But will the boys – who seldom spend any quality time with each other or as a family - learn to pull together for the first time? Can Peter, normally the stay at home dad, take on the role of being the traditional, distant and disciplinarian 1950s head of the family?

Never Did Me Any Harm - Part Three
In the third episode, Cheryl McIver lives in fear that her five children are being damaged by the technology that surrounds them – why talk to your brothers when there is a television set in every bedroom and a games cube too. So for two weeks, she is determined to take them back to the childhood she knew in 1970s Bolton. Out go all the televisions and the television dinners – in come daily chores, paper rounds, home-made pies, a twin tub and an outdoor loo! There is even a family trip to Blackpool complete with matching outfits for all children to wear on the beach. How will they cope when forced to spend time together without the aid of their beloved gadgets and technology?

Never Did Me Any Harm - Part Four
Long distance lorry driver Shaun Hart is convinced that, while his childhood was tough, it never did him any harm. His children on the other hand – thirteen year old Aimee and ten year old Adam, have everything that they could ever wish for. They never lift a finger around the house – but all this is about the change. Shaun recreates the childhood he knew in 1970s Essex, where the clothes came from the jumble sale not the designer shops and where 4am in the morning was not a time for sleeping but for potato picking to help bring in extra money for food. His children are in for a short, sharp shock. Will they learn to respect their dad more after a taste of his past and a severe lack of leisure time lounging in front of the television?
Last edited by The_Boss on Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_Boss
Site Admin

Postby The_Boss » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:27 pm

This looks like another Twenty Twenty Hit

daveyboi

Postby daveyboi » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:12 pm

Well well what an interesting programme.

I remember the saying This hurts me more than you and I think his spanking his kids proved that.

However I do think this proves spoiling children is common place this day but I would suggest this is probably due to most families having both parents working so time for family team playing is so restricted.

jockstrap

Postby jockstrap » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:10 pm

Well I am glad to see the long haired guitar loving lad finally came around and started joining in.

This series so far does beg the question why children are allowed to have their own way so much though :!:
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." Author: Benjamin Disraeli

The_Boss
Site Admin

Week 3

Postby The_Boss » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:32 am

I an really enjoying this series and the one tonight was definitely the best so far.

It is a pity there is only one more to go so I assume that could be the failure in the series.

The kids looked real smart dressed up like that at Blackpool and it was not that long before they forgot what they were wearing.
I am glad the family has kept up the interactivity after they were filmed.

Return to “On the Box”