Grand Designs

Discuss or comment on current television programmes. You are welcome to post anything about your favourite TV programme past or present, to just daily chit chat about current events.
hathaway

Grand Designs

Postby hathaway » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:55 pm

Did any of you watch Grand Designs on Wednesday? I think that the lady who designed and had the house built was very brave, 78 years old and willing to risk all in order to build a house in her own garden.

The design was most unusual, all the walls were curved to blend in with the garden wall and was designed to allow the lady to occupy the spacious ground floor and plenty of room for her family to visit for holidays. The rooms all had wonderful views of the surrounding area due to the many large windows in each. A dream house for every age group!

The thing which fascinated me the most was the 'lego bricks' made of polystyrene. They were specially made for the building of her house and they were literally put together as a child's lego set would be, then filled with concrete. It was so much quicker than the conventional build of normal bricks and I am now wondering why this method is not used more extensively.

jockstrap

Postby jockstrap » Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:18 pm

It certainly was a unique design and a very clever one at that.

I am thinking though the new house is as large as her old house with the main difference being all her required accommodation on the same floor.

I do not agree that the conservatory looked out of place though.

I was so surprised at her calmness with the cost over runs and delays. Some of it I would agree with but the faulty windows are surely down to the manufacturer or builder to sort out.

daveyboi

Postby daveyboi » Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:42 pm

Cost over runs you mean doubling the price quoted in the first place .... it was alright for the builders as the lady was paying to sort their mistakes.

If it had been drive tarmacers or plumbers there would of been a programme showing them as rogue traders.

The_Boss
Site Admin

Postby The_Boss » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:10 pm

This week the revisit to the timber house was really good to see how much better it looked with the garden finished and furnished properly.

I suppose meeting your wife by grazing sheep is original for this country :twisted:

Return to “On the Box”