Restoration Village

Discuss or comment on current television programmes. You are welcome to post anything about your favourite TV programme past or present, to just daily chit chat about current events.
The_Boss
Site Admin

Restoration Village

Postby The_Boss » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:22 pm

Well the first week I was choose the Art Gallery and it made it through to the final.

Second week I was torn between the rope factory and the church in Newlyn and I would I guess if pushed into a corner say the rope factory as we need to save our industrial heritage.... instead of just reenacting or reproducing it. However the church went through.

This week it is a split between the school and the blacksmith / carpentry workshop. It is so hard to choose one at the expense of the others however I think it has to be the blacksmith's as the other two were "public" buildings and could of been better maintained over the years especially the school could of been turned into a village center earlier rather than left to decay for so long.

hathaway

Postby hathaway » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:17 pm

I also chose the gallery on the first week, but was disappointed to see that the church won on the second week, especially as it is not going to be used as a place of worship when restored. I would have gone for the old farmhouse in which they were teaching the old crafts such as basket making. I really think that it is important that crafts such as these are kept going for the schools do not have craft lessons as they used to.

This week my vote would go to the workshop in Wellesbourne. To see all of the tools laid out as they were when the forge and carpentry shop were operational was a real privilige. It was delightful to hear the old man talking of his days working there and to relate how generations of his family worked there before him.

However I have a feeling that the church will raise more sympathy votes. Please don't get me wrong, I really think that the beautiful church should be restored but surely the Church of England purse should be footing the bill, after all they are reputed to be very rich.

jockstrap

Postby jockstrap » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:01 pm

From what I understand the Church of England sold of a lot of the income raising land they owned and invested in stocks and bonds instead.

The Church has to raise all it's money from donations other than that.

Some money has been given from English Heritage for the more more famous buildings but otherwise it is down to the parish to raise most of the maintenance funds it appears.

Reference Wikipedia
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." Author: Benjamin Disraeli

jockstrap

Postby jockstrap » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:25 am

Luckily our views were reflected through the nation this week or we voted so much :lol: The blacksmith/wood-workshop won the vote.

In this week's programme we had the Town Hall, the Lighthouse and the church.
Again agonising decisions maybe the lighthouse should be saved by funds from the Northern Lighthouse Board as part of their heritage.

The Town Hall is so worthy of being saved but then this time the church may come top of my list.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." Author: Benjamin Disraeli

hathaway

Postby hathaway » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:50 pm

I was so pleased that the workshop won last week, a piece of history in it's original setting and the present villagers intending to use it as a workshop for training youngsters.

This week I am so undecided about which of the three buildings should get my vote.

The lighthouse does deserve to be preserved together with the cottages at the side. I loved the illustration of the box beds in the kitchen - took me back to Catherine Cookson's novels. Also the reconstruction of the original lighting being built at the side of the lighthouse will allow the tower to remain as it is. However, I do not think that the restoration will encourage that many people to flock to the island, creating jobs and an income for the families who are resident there.

The town hall was going to be my favourite. It is a magnificent building worthy of restoration. I agree with the change of use but cannot accept the change of appearance with the offices being built on top of the building. The rent from these would help to maintain the building but would they be surplus to requirements in such a small village?

Back to the church. There is always a church in every programme, always a need to restore the church for the village or town but again I believe that the funds should come from within the church. This church had a lovely warm feeling to it, beautiful windows with the sun streaming through and even a fire to keep things cosy in the cold weather. The setting was perfect, the greenery helping to highlight the church, the original entrance gates, wonderful.

And I still cannot make up my mind which one should win.

Return to “On the Box”