Top of the Pops to end after 42 years

Discuss or comment on current television programmes. You are welcome to post anything about your favourite TV programme past or present, to just daily chit chat about current events.
The_Boss
Site Admin

Top of the Pops to end after 42 years

Postby The_Boss » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:33 pm

Top of the Pops, the world's longest running weekly music show, will end its run on 30 July 2006, Jana Bennett, BBC Director of Television, announced today.
The decision to bring the show to an end after 42 years has not been taken lightly and over the past few years every effort has been made to maintain the quality and distinctiveness of the show.

However the BBC's Creative Future Music Strategy has concluded that in a rapidly changing musical landscape Top of the Pops no longer occupies the central role it once did.

Over recent years the show has faced ever increasing competition from multi-media and niche musical outlets which enable viewers to consume music of their choice any time night or day in a way that Top of the Pops simply cannot deliver in its current weekly format.

ho-unit!

Postby ho-unit! » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:02 pm

i'm really shocked at that. i think one of it's biggest problems was it's timing. First of all, when it was on fridays, although the ratings were brilliant, they were alwaysd behind on the charts (5 days behind the radio 1 ofiicial one) so that wasn't good.

and since it's been on sunday, the ratings have taken a big tumble. i do sympathise with them ebcause the evolution of msuic has changed so much. the word 'pop' is completely different to how it was 10-20 years ago. It used to be all boy bands and sex appeal but it's a lot more than that now. You actually have to have talent or have a TV competition appearence to stand a chance. Which is a big shame.

Really, all they need is to reschedule it's timing and have better music to a wider audience range.
The Beagle Boysz 2005!

Return to “On the Box”