How realistic will this series be?

Forum for discussion of both the That'll Teach 'em series (Kings School and Hope Green ) and the follow up programme That Taught 'em. You can also discuss anything about educational standards of the present day or the past. Fans of the series can interact with the pupils and staff of all series as well.
<a href="http://www.teachem.co.uk/third-series/index.shtml">Visit our That'll Teach 'em fan Site</a>
William Shepherd

How realistic will this series be?

Postby William Shepherd » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:05 pm

One thing I wondered about this series is how realistic it will be? I noticed that although I enjoyed the last few series they were not very realistic.
My mum went to school in the late sixties and when she watched the series with me she told me that the teachers at her school were far stricter than they were on the programme.
The headmaster at my mum's school had a cane in his office which boys would be hit with if they were naughty in lessons or late to school. As well as a cane the headmaster also smacked pupils if they were bad. My mum got her bum smacked twice by the headmaster when she was at school, once for answering back to a teacher and once for smoking.

The teachers on the series seem far to nice to ever be that strict don't they?
I'm one of two

Doc W

Strictness

Postby Doc W » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:26 pm

Actually there is now a law which says that teachers aren't permitted to strike children. One of the ways in which TTE can never be completely realistic is the lack of corporal punishment. I went to school in the late sixties and early seventies and I can assure you that the threat of such punishment DID make a difference. My best teachers didn't often have to revert to it but it was always there in the background. I am convinced that some of the children in TTE3 who continued to misbehave beyond the first few days would have stopped doing so, or more likely left, if we had used caning as a punishment.
Effectiveness is not the only factor in assessing the validity of a method of punishment though and the above should not be taken as an indication of my approval (or disapproval). I simply believe that it's easy to be brave when the worst thing that can happen is that you have to get up early!
Doc W

William Shepherd

Postby William Shepherd » Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:49 pm

I can see why they wouldn't be able to use the cane on the series if there is a law against it, but maybe they could be smacked. My mum says that being smacked by the headmaster made her not want to be in trouble again.
I'm one of two

ho-unit!

Re: Strictness

Postby ho-unit! » Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:22 am

Doc W wrote: One of the ways in which TTE can never be completely realistic is the lack of corporal punishment.

Eeek! if TTE actualyl did use corporal punishment, it would be just wrong.

And violence is never the answer anyway. It is actually more to do with the mind especially at an early age. If they are taught the discipline during their toddler-infant age, they follow on in a similar trend.

Obviously TTE can't get everything perfect as it is just an experiment. This stuff was new to me because although my mum did go to a boarding school, chinese boarding schools are very different in significant ways (although they still had prep though...) and my thought of boarding school was for misfit or posh kids. After meeting people there my thoughts have changed a lot.

but to answer your question, teachers vary from person to person, some have a heart (do i have to mention them?) and some just show no mercy. it's likely to have been that as well in the 50s
The Beagle Boysz 2005!

jockstrap

Postby jockstrap » Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:00 pm

Will can you answer this one maybe.

You say that violence is not the answer however some pupils see it to be a one way thing. It is alright to assault teachers and other pupils but not for anyone to assault them. The use of weapons also has risen in schools.

So what is the ultimate deterrent today to keep youth in line?

ho-unit!

Postby ho-unit! » Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:34 am

were u referring to me or will shepherd?

to start, i have never broke into a fight. every1 would know that if a fight breaks out at secondary school, the whole school just wraps around as if its the biggest bit of news of the year.

Pupils who are like as you say think in one way are the ones who think they are the hardest of them all and just don't want to think that they are under someone. People like these are selfish and don't know what they're thinking about. I've heard about peope attacking teachers and pupils and stuff but it seems to be a person's instinct that if they get beat, that's wrong in their minds. It's their own instinct about this problem and it may just be the case of what goes around, comes around.

Really it should never be like this, pupils may see being hard and everything as a repuation and if that breaks, so does they. Its up to the pupil's own mind whether they do give a care about the world around themselves.

The rise of using weapons in schools will be rising again probably because of reputation but more likely to be fear. It is understandable that people fear for their lives if they know they're going to be attacked by bullys. If you are threatened by bullys threatening to jump you, A person's first instinct is to protect themselves. They might cannot go to teachers or parents because of what might happen, they might no just go away because that just makes things worse so the closest thing they can get to is to arm themselves. In some cases, fighting fire with fire.

THis is what Bully can do, it just fears on your life and its basically just throwing yourself to a pack of lions. Schools really must understand this and try to do as much as they can to stop it. Obviously they can't stay around 24/7 but even just keeping an eye on them as they go home, as long as they feel safe. I remember about 5 years ago when i was sent to my head of year's office because they thought i was being bullied but i wasn't. I had to convince them so much that I wasn't and I can see why they needed confirming so much. People just prefer to hide their fears and not show it rather than telling someone and breaking down. I mean it does take a lot to show a person's inner feelings
The Beagle Boysz 2005!

jockstrap

Postby jockstrap » Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:28 am

Yes I was referring to you Will Ho

You see the issues are so much the same as they have always been however corporal punishment did have a good effect as an ultimate deterrent.
Whilst I will not argue a case for its return no one has yet found a GOOD alternative that actually works.

Meanwhile the nanny state legislates for us all to be good and conform to their idea of how we should lead our lives.

William Shepherd

Postby William Shepherd » Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:11 pm

I think that jackstrap is right, my mum says that they were scared of the headmaster at her school so they did what they were told. My mum says that when she tried smoking at school that time she was terrorfied of being caught and then she was spotted and taken to the headmaster. Beimg smacked made her never try smoking again.
The boys at my mum's school were also not as bad as today because they didn't just get their bum's smacked if they were naughty they got the cane which was much much worse.
I think on future series they could try smacking the pupils if they misbehave because other punishments don't really work as well.
I'm one of two

oversizedschoolboy

Postby oversizedschoolboy » Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:35 pm

The type of man who would have been Headmaster of a school in the past is rarely found today outside the military. Lets face it this was a man who's job included inflicting pain on pupils who steped out of line.

How old was your mum when the headmaster smacked her for smoking? It seems bazaare looking back on those days when teachers could give a teenage girl a good hiding and think nothing of it.

William Shepherd

Postby William Shepherd » Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:29 pm

I think she was fourteen, maybe fifteen so just a bit older than me.
I think it was a good thing that teacher were so strict then, becuase today people just mess about at school, no one is scared of the teachers today.
Lots of the girls in my form smoke, but I think they would have done back then because they would be scared that the headmaster would smack their bum's for it.
I'm one of two

johnkemple

Postby johnkemple » Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:33 pm

ho we are no longer at C.D.G.S you dont have to write flipping essays, i've just spent 20minutes reading yours.
Although there was a lack of C.P in the series it is made up for by creative punishment that were given and anyway if you try going to school in the 1950's like we did and then say it wasn't hard enough for you i swear i will come and cane you personally lol.
Kemple

p.s. Doc W you never went to school in the 60's/70's thats a lie......must been the 80's/90's

Doc W

Baseless accusation

Postby Doc W » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:21 am

Thanks for the (intended?) compliment John but I'm 43. As you know my Birthday's in August. I was born in '62 and went to school from 67 to 78 then VI form in 78-80 (or something like that!). Most of my secondary education was at a school more like Hope green than CDGS.

I repeat that I'm not expressing an opinion on the validity of Corporal punishment but I do believe that you're wrong to think that it was truly replaced by what we were able to do. I've been the recipient of corporal punishment and I'd be happy to take your 'experiences' in it's place.
Doc W

ho-unit!

Postby ho-unit! » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:11 am

johnkemple wrote:ho we are no longer at C.D.G.S you dont have to write flipping essays

haha! couldmnt help myself. although i tend to write a load of waffle when i'm writing essays.

anyway, to answer Will Shepherd's suggestion, i do disagree with it. Although it may be more realistic and more interesting, it's against the law, cruel and NSPCC would be all over. Take brat camp for example, no cruel punishments were needed at all and now look at them.

i'll avoid delving any further b4 i talk nonsense :)
The Beagle Boysz 2005!

oversizedschoolboy

Postby oversizedschoolboy » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:15 pm

Like Doc W I'm not sure I agree with corporal punishment in schools, however the reality of it as a threat did seem to work. I narrowly avoided the cane on a few occasions and got the slipper once at junior school.
It was my older sister who was the real wild child in the family and she was disciplined at least once at secondary school for infringements of school uniform.
I remember it being quite a big deal at the time because girls were rarely punished at my school; I think she was made into a bit of an example because the girls were wearing their skirts to short and so on at the time. Anyway she was smacked by Mr Johnson the head of year, who as I remember was a horrible man...very severe when it came to caning us boys so god knows what she must have gone through!

It certainly worked from a disciplinary perspective because she changed from being a bit of a rebel to being extremely careful not to get in trouble again...getting to school on time, wearing the uniform properly etc.

Although I agree that it worked I don't think that a teenage girl should have been treated so harshly. I believe that the same result may have been acheived through communication.

nortam

Postby nortam » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:12 pm

Interesting Topic!

I believe that fear is not altogether a bad thing...not of a person
but of the concequences of doing something wrong. Maybe if kids today had fear of concequences, behaviour in schools would,nt be so bad. Does,nt mean that kids should be hit tho.

Oh Dear have I opened up a can of worms....nevermind

BRING IT ON !! :roll:

Return to “The Chalkboard”