Annoying finale

Forum for discussion of both the That'll Teach 'em series (Kings School and Hope Green ) and the follow up programme That Taught 'em. You can also discuss anything about educational standards of the present day or the past. Fans of the series can interact with the pupils and staff of all series as well.
<a href="http://www.teachem.co.uk/third-series/index.shtml">Visit our That'll Teach 'em fan Site</a>
johno

Annoying finale

Postby johno » Wed May 03, 2006 8:00 am

I can't remember the exact numbers, but the chemistry examiner gave average performance marks for boys and girls, and as I remember both were greater than 45%; likewise the average marks for English for boys and girls were greater than 45%. There must have been some pupils who performed quite decently at the examinations, and it would have been pleasing if their achievments had been made public on the show. Who were the best performers? Why weren't their achievements celebrated?

A couple of events from different programmes stuck in my mind: one was the comment of one of the girls about the futility of learning deportment because it would be of no use back home in 'Sarf Landan', and the other was the reluctance to of the children to learn how to use a knife and fork as members of the middle class do. It brought home to me the effectiveness of the grammar school as an agent of social mobility rescuing proles like me from a potential career of assembling fridges for the rest of my life on a production line, and giving me instead the opportunity to go to a university, and to mix, on grounds of social equality (more or less) with people whose fathers, and grandfathers had progressed automatically, through private education, to the university with me.

I was sorry that the sullen little twerp was not broken, but merely sent away, but perhaps there is a little bit too much of the O'Brien in me for modern tastes.

johno

ho-unit!

Postby ho-unit! » Wed May 03, 2006 3:04 pm

about the knife and fork bit. i was also part of that knife and fork bit but they didnt show me for some reason. i was told to go on that bit because i ate with my knife and fork the wrong way round and that i 'shovel'.

now about the shovelling. i'm chinese but i'm not using it as an excuse. I do eat boiled rice with a knife and fork at times. now the only method that will work to pick that up is the shovelling because the grains are even smaller than the spaces in the fork and that's hell if you're trying to eat rice like that. tbu this is a very minor thing really.

that's the only reason why i think they didn't show me. other than that, i dont get why i wasn't shown in that bit
The Beagle Boysz 2005!

Matt-t

Postby Matt-t » Wed May 03, 2006 3:20 pm

Hey Ho

(ooh that sounds like something out of a panto!! Sorry!)

I shovel my rice too. how else can you eat rice!

Has anyone tried keeping rice on a fork!!

johno

Postby johno » Wed May 03, 2006 5:59 pm

ho-unit! wrote:about the knife and fork bit. i was also part of that knife and fork bit but they didnt show me for some reason. i was told to go on that bit because i ate with my knife and fork the wrong way round and that i 'shovel'.

now about the shovelling. i'm chinese but i'm not using it as an excuse. I do eat boiled rice with a knife and fork at times. now the only method that will work to pick that up is the shovelling because the grains are even smaller than the spaces in the fork and that's hell if you're trying to eat rice like that. tbu this is a very minor thing really.

that's the only reason why i think they didn't show me. other than that, i dont get why i wasn't shown in that bit

When I was in Beijing three years ago I saw plenty of people, including my postdoc, Na, picking up every last rice grain with chopsticks. They were using the shovelling technique of holding the rice-bowl up to their mouths though.

I had a long discussion with Na about the cooking of rice and she told me that the proper way to cook rice in the Chinese manner is not to do it so that each grain separates from the others as in the Indian cuisine, but so that there is a little bit of stickiness left, not so much as to make it gluey, but just enough to make it easy to eat with chopsticks. Na comes from Yantai, and China (as I discovered while I was there) is a big place, so perhaps people from other regions cook their rice differently.

I am quite sure that the proper way to eat rice with a knife and fork is to compress some rice on to the ends of the prongs on the convex side using the flat of your knife to make a kind of dam, then pile up some more behind it, and gracefully convey the lot to the mouth. Of course it is slow, it's meant to be slow: being slow shows the people you are eating with that you aren't greedy. It all ties in with the requirement of public restraint which is one of the marks of a gentleman, and turning intelligent proles into reasonable facsimiles of gentlemen was one of the prime functions of the grammar school in the '50s. The corners were knocked off at school, and if you went on to a university afterwards the remaining edges were polished.

Anyway, I don't remember you grizzling about being required to take the lesson. There is nothing wrong with not knowing: there is in not knowing and not wanting to learn.

johno

The_Boss
Site Admin

Postby The_Boss » Wed May 03, 2006 7:47 pm

I was interested in the comments about table manners not being an essential to learn these days.

Just wait till they find a rich partner and get taken to a posh restaurant on a date or get invited to dinner with their boss and they wish to impress then they will realise why it is good to learn to eat properly.

head_girl_reject

Postby head_girl_reject » Wed May 03, 2006 8:52 pm

I'm so dissapointed in the last episode! they missed out everything positive just to make us look bad. Am so dissapointed with 20 20! AND i got called a hussy on live tv. Pity it ws a waste of a month really, just to end up showing up as an idiot!

stedirector

Postby stedirector » Wed May 03, 2006 8:59 pm

I didn't think it was that bad!

head_girl_reject

Postby head_girl_reject » Wed May 03, 2006 9:02 pm

Neither did I until tuesday! I thought that they may at least show some of the good things I did on the last day, as we all worked hard to do it! But all that was shown was me falling asleep and crying.....how stupid :(!
Ah well, TV sucks!!

stedirector

Postby stedirector » Wed May 03, 2006 9:04 pm

You didn't come across badly, if anything it made it seem like it was all taking it's toll on you all, the stress of exams and stuff. But then again i don't know what was missed out, and i suppose they only had a limited amount of screen time to cram things in. :?

lukemills

Postby lukemills » Sun May 07, 2006 1:49 pm

Yes they didn't show all the awards handed out like for most improved sports personality so on so forth however i must strongly disagree with viki it think it was the most meaningful thing i have ever done in one month, and i was reasonably happy with the last show.

Especially the last shot.

Luke Mills.

ho-unit!

Postby ho-unit! » Sun May 07, 2006 2:10 pm

head_girl_reject wrote: Am so dissapointed with 20 20! AND i got called a hussy on live tv.

dont worry. try getting called fat by your own mum on national telly and by Richard E. Grant himself (wait till i get my hands on him! lmao)
The Beagle Boysz 2005!

Mr Stanley

Postby Mr Stanley » Sun May 07, 2006 7:13 pm

Well Viki I thought you were great in the show. Its a pity there was not the time to show more of the Mikado. You gave a wonderful performance as a lead character, after hours of hard work. Its a funny feeling now its all over but I think its so important for everyone to look back on the experience with fondness. After all, thousands of other people would have simply loved to have had the chance. Lets not forget that it is a privilege and we should all remain proud. :D

daveo

Postby daveo » Sun May 07, 2006 9:18 pm

the show clearly suggested that we have exams much easier these days but it only showed a few people getting there results . Did anyone do really well it all seemed like grade 6,7,8 or9s

ho-unit!

Postby ho-unit! » Sun May 07, 2006 11:21 pm

meng yuan was the top student there. but it's a shame cos she was barely on it. My parents were complaining about that bit. they were saying it might've been because she was chinese (so what am i then? lmao)
The Beagle Boysz 2005!

lukemills

Postby lukemills » Sun May 28, 2006 4:10 pm

Will it's not the fact that meng is chinese lol, it's the fact that she didn't really do anything except study the whole time she was there.

Return to “The Chalkboard”