Vicky Buxton

Forum for discussion of both the That'll Teach 'em series (Kings School and Hope Green ) and the follow up programme That Taught 'em. You can also discuss anything about educational standards of the present day or the past. Fans of the series can interact with the pupils and staff of all series as well.
<a href="http://www.teachem.co.uk/third-series/index.shtml">Visit our That'll Teach 'em fan Site</a>
johno

Postby johno » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:31 pm

The late 1950's pupils were learning to rebel as well.

I should guess that teenage rebellion is nothing unique. For example when I was at school somebody stole all the school cups and trophies and threw them into the river. (He did finally get caught and most of the cups were recovered.) One morning we found a full-sized zebra-crossing painted across the quadrangle, on another total chaos ensued because some joker had filled all the keyholes with plastic-metal, on yet another we discovered 'X (the nickname of a master) loves Y (the nickname of the headmistress of the neighbouring girls' school)' painted in huge letters on the roof. This was just the normal vandalism and the masters were used to coping with it.

The rebellion started when one of the star rugby players, a member of the first fifteen, decided that he had more important things to do on Saturday than play for the school, and refused to turn out.

He was immediately stripped of his prefecthood and there was a complete moral panic because none of the masters could think of a way to make him play, and as far as I remember he never played for the school again. I suppose that this was the first crack in '50s conformity that I was aware of.

These deeds were all perpetrated by the generation who grew up in school uniforms, the generation whose grandchildren are taking part in 'That'll teach 'em'.

My impression is that the children are less unthinkingly cruel, brutal, and destructive than we were then, but of course most of them are from co-educational schools, and I suspect that co-education must have an emollient effect on boys' behaviour.

(Or to put it another way, compared with us today's hooligans are just wimps.)

johno

Be at leso

Postby Be at leso » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:04 pm

Vicky and Ashleigh did look quite terrified when being told off especially Ashleigh.

lukemills

Postby lukemills » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:50 pm

viki don't even listen hunny you were fantastic! and i absolutely loved it and all my family and friends agree that you were helarious and iot's true that ppl don't have any idea what it was like.

you stay who you are and never change coz you're brill that way,

hope ppl leave you alone

luke mills.

xoxojessxoxo

Postby xoxojessxoxo » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:02 pm

hiyaz vicki i thuoght thta u were reali funi and reali pretty.
i think that it was not fair when u had all your chcolate was taken off u but when that woman found it all in ur tampon box i could not stop laughing lol
bye xx

Matt-t

Postby Matt-t » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:13 pm

Hey Vicki

Just wanted to say please ignore,this irrational thread,its very harsh to judge someone based upon 4 weeks together

Scott-chill

Matt (a viewer)

somerset sunflower

Postby somerset sunflower » Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:07 pm

i cnt believe u PUBLIC who fink u can just come and judge us sorry ive only jus joined this argument ive bin busy!! I was on the show and i got to know every1 the way that 2020 have edited it have made things look very different and as it has alrdy been sed they r condensin alot into 5 hours, jus pikin on the rly gud viewin moments ok so sum people may have bin a bit naughty occassionally but they way 2020 have shown it is that it was all the time thats jus a few hours outa a hell of alot more hmmppphhhh glad thats outa me
Missin ma That'll Teach 'em family!!

Matt-t

Postby Matt-t » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:20 pm

As a member of the public (i.e not on the show) i hope this sort of thread doesn't lead to you guys who were on the programme getting angry with the public members.

I hope that this certain viewers hurtful observations will not be taken to heart and create tension between forum members,otherwise its destroys the idea of an online "community" which such forums like this are often known as.

What this viewer fails to understand is the very point of the programme,to provide a "snapshot" (for want of a better word) towards 1950's education. This means that comments that are critical of the pupils are made somewhat redundent as tv editing by 2020 can make people appear what they are not.

well said Kayleigh btw.

Matt

somerset sunflower

Postby somerset sunflower » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:19 pm

thanks matt!! can i jus ask hu u r!? wher u frm!?
Missin ma That'll Teach 'em family!!

slf_peters_scotty

Postby slf_peters_scotty » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:22 pm

ok matt poit your points across but dnt tell me what to do

Matt-t

Postby Matt-t » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:23 pm

kayleigh - PM me and I'll tell ya,I don't like putting personal details on public display.

Scott- fair play,can you and I call it quits now?

HeadBoiHudson
Location: Somewhere Really Random in YORKSHIRE!!! (the best county)

Postby HeadBoiHudson » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:43 pm

Well can i just say that no matter what anyone says about Vicki i love her to bits. She is a really genuine beautiful person. I know i sound soppy but it's not really fair to be so horrid to her like that. Nobody knows her as well as we do from TTE and she was the one girl (sept Sally) who i got on with most.

LEAVE HER ALONE.....

Love ya Vicki. (i tell ya if scott hadn't been there i wud have had ya lass) lol
x-HeadBoi-x

head_girl_reject

Postby head_girl_reject » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:25 pm

Hey everyone thanks for being supportive. Some people judge which is fair enough to them but not fair on people like us, who are normal people, and just went on it for a laugh!
I would like to ask the viewers how they thought everyone came across, that they've seen so far, as we knew the people and how they were, rather than just the edits, so it would be great to see how you all think everyone's come across so far?
Thanks everyone again!
Vikki xxx

slf_peters_scotty

Postby slf_peters_scotty » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:52 pm

matt its ok calling it quits

vikki was kool dnt get me rong at the end of the day it was fun and only people that were there know the whole storie about what the people were like xxxxxxxx

hudson im sorry i got there first lol

people off the show im sorting sumthing out for us so if im on msn talk to me and ill lett you all know xx

jb

Postby jb » Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:29 am

head_girl_reject wrote:Hey everyone thanks for being supportive. Some people judge which is fair enough to them but not fair on people like us, who are normal people, and just went on it for a laugh!

Would like to ask the viewers how they thought everyone came across, that they've seen so far, as we knew the people and how they were, rather than just the edits, so it would be great to see how you all think everyone's come across so far?
Thanks everyone again!
Vikki xxx

Purely as a viewer I do not think you have anything to worry about. The group appears to be made up of the usual mixture of strong and weak personalities. We all react differently and for me what the two programes broadcast so have shown is that you all coped pretty well given the circumstances. Yes you sometimes appeared a bit weak (i.e. in the reaction to PE and dissecting the eye) at other times times remarkably mature (in the balloon debate and in the case of Ashley and Vikki, in their reaction to the punishment dished out by matron).

I look forward to seeing what happens next

samwyvill

Postby samwyvill » Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:42 am

All im going to say is that I LOVE U Vicki, why are people so affected by how someone is cheeky?! We all just were who we are (majority) and therefore it did not mix well with 1950's schooling. Don't worry about what people say, they wernt there and don't know what we have been through together.. a life time experience never to be forgotten xxxx

Return to “The Chalkboard”