Petty Vindictive Rubbish

Forum for discussion of both the That'll Teach 'em series (Kings School and Hope Green ) and the follow up programme That Taught 'em. You can also discuss anything about educational standards of the present day or the past. Fans of the series can interact with the pupils and staff of all series as well.
<a href="http://www.teachem.co.uk/third-series/index.shtml">Visit our That'll Teach 'em fan Site</a>
Mister Skippy

Petty Vindictive Rubbish

Postby Mister Skippy » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:28 pm

I had a look at this programme - as a historian, just to see what it was about, and to honest I was absolutley horrified that this sort of petty vindicitive bullying is allowed at all, let alone making a TV documentary about it.

So a bunch of sad old middle aged fogies are lording it over a group of little 16 year old kids.

"You will eat this, wear this, learn this...."

Teachers screaming at some girl for getting a question wrong.

What is this? Make a kid cry and we'll get more viewers? This is sick- plain and simple. So life was harder for children during the 1950's? That is moslty the fault of that generation for being narrow minded petty little aerosols and trying to shoehorn every child through their idea of what a good education should be.

The fact is that every generation has it harder than the next. Take those same 50's style teachers and make them work in a Victorian workhouse, they'd soon be sqwuaking pretty loud! Better yet, how about Medieval peasant or Roman slave?

I suffered a diluted form of this rubbish at the boarding schools I was sent to after my dad died. A lot of sad, inadequate little men- and women who thought picking on the little skinny kid with specs made them 'big shots.'
Bunch of Slimeballs-!

Yes I put up with all that krud about how "If you can't do maths and physics you'll be a moron for the rest of your life."

Well guess who's just completed a Master of Arts Degree in History Grandad?

And don't even get me started on PE teachers- some of the most evil, vicious self important little Gualieters on the planet.

"If you can't catch a criket ball, and play tennis, you're not a man. Look at me - I am ex army.... I am so superior. You are pathetic, you are.....

... 6feet 3? 15 stone 10? National Pool Lifeguards Qulification? Ju Jitsu you say... Welllll.... I.. I always thought you were a 'character' Gordon....... Nice seeing you again... I must go now...I just messed my pants...!"

"Yeah, you run, you little prat, and be thankful I'm not as vindictive as you were to me."

Harping back to 'The Good Old Days' when Racism, Sexism and Homphobia were cornerstones of society. What next, are they going to start burning Catholics and flogging the African kids in the next series?

Kids- Don't listen to anything these narrow minded morons give you about ' the young generation..' Archeologists in the 90's found a stone tablet with a letter from a father berating his son about how ' decadent and lazy you are. Not like me... When I was your age...."
Turns out it's over 3, 000 years old!

The 1950's were a last ditch attempt by a few old fuddy duddies to hark back to a 'Golden Era.' Same as with the Victorians in the 1850's and the Puritans under Olly Cromwell back in the 1650's..... Can you see a pattern emerging here? That's Right-

Same S***, Different Day!

Young people today are bigger, stronger, more conifdent, articulate and socially accepting than the previous generation. We are also a lot kinder, and more tolerent towards people from other cultures and lifestyles. Just think what it was like being a Pakistani immigrant or worse, a Homosexual in the 1950's. Absolutely awful!

Be Proud that our generation is multicultural and diverse and free from so many of the stupid social stigmas that pervaded back in 'The Good Old Days.'

Who do you think showed all these narrow minded old fogies how to set up their flipping website in the first place?

As Ally says

"Keep it Real!"

Ian

xxx

nortam

Postby nortam » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:54 pm

I take it you won't be watching next week then1 :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

hathaway

Postby hathaway » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:02 am

quoted by Mister Skippy: Young people today are bigger, stronger, more conifdent, articulate and socially accepting than the previous generation. We are also a lot kinder, and more tolerent towards people from other cultures and lifestyles. Just think what it was like being a Pakistani immigrant or worse, a Homosexual in the 1950's. Absolutely awful!

You are completely wrong here, I started work in 1959 and the place where I worked had the reputation of being United Nations for there were so many nationalities working together.

As for the 'kinder' youngsters, please tell me where to find them, for they certainly do not live anywhere near me.

jockstrap

Postby jockstrap » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:18 am

A very interesting point of view.

Whilst I must agree with quite a lot of your post regarding bullying of the weaker pupils in that era there was MEANT to be good intention behind it.

In someways that has shown in the results. You were being pushed to learn that you could do anything if you tried hard enough. That has shown in what you have achieved YES by your own doing and wanting to but also to prove them wrong. A good psychological reaction.

On the downside you suffered mental if not physical abuse by todays standards.

However do not all parents think things were better in their day? Is it not trying to teach their children?

HeadBoiHudson
Location: Somewhere Really Random in YORKSHIRE!!! (the best county)

Postby HeadBoiHudson » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:32 pm

Mister Skippy!!!!!!

1: Who the hell are you?

2: How could you be bothered to write all that?

3: I disagree totally with the entirety of that passage thingy you wrote and i really had a lot of fun whilst i was there as most of the students will agree. I think you should have tried it then you may disagree, and kids? How patronising!!!!! As for it being sick again i disagree totally and 'as a historian' do you know anything about history? That is what life was like then and the teachers were not fogies they were ace. Oh and kids today are not stronger and faster and sxxx than they were then. That is saying a lot from me as i do nothing most of the time. They enjoyed sport and stuff like that so LAY OFF
x-HeadBoi-x

slf_peters_scotty

Postby slf_peters_scotty » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:17 am

mister skippy, did you have a hard time when you were young, you wernt there with us the teachers were a nightmare but they were meant to be like that if they were nice there would be no show.

hudson:well said lol

Miss Gibson

Postby Miss Gibson » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:26 pm

I'm not old or middle aged (at least I hope not)! I'm a real life teacher and I'm only 28! So there!

nortam

Postby nortam » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:34 pm

I am old and middle aged...is there something wrong with that!!!

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :roll:

Miss Gibson

Postby Miss Gibson » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:47 pm

... and yet so young and vibrant at heart :lol:

You certainly seem to get up to more high jinks than I do...

Doc W

skippy's rant

Postby Doc W » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:56 pm

I'm middle aged and a fogey but then I'm a teacher so I don't need to be young and cool! (Fortunately)
Doc W

Be at leso

Postby Be at leso » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:25 pm

Miss Gibson wrote:I'm not old or middle aged (at least I hope not)! I'm a real life teacher and I'm only 28! So there!

Your only 28! I must admit I thought you were a lot older. I guess they do a good job in make-up to make you look more severe, Who's going to be scared of a 28 year old lol!!! I'm sure all my teachers were in their 50's at least.

I guess you must look more your real age when your out on the town? hair down, short skirt etc. probably a right little raver :)

Matt-t

Postby Matt-t » Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:49 pm

Interestingly to note that the original poster of this topic has not posted here since after his complete post of utter drivel and Hudson's well said comments

Mr Stanley

Postby Mr Stanley » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:28 pm

I'm only 28 as well by the way... :shock:

Sebs new adress

Postby Sebs new adress » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:12 pm

its no the age that we are scared of its the authority! if a teacher teaches us its just a yeacher wot can they do cept put us in detention, the the head master/mistress teaches us they can do a hell of alot more!!
I love Emily

Return to “The Chalkboard”