What is the problem??

The Channel 4 series that follows a number of pupils with serious attendance and behavioural problems in school for five months in a ground-breaking educational project.

jockstrap

What is the problem??

Postby jockstrap » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:12 pm

Have the Unteachables failed at school or has School failed them?

Is the opening topic on the Channel 4 forum for this programme.

I reckon the failing is the ability of the teachers to capture their audience.
Now whether that is due to the restrictions placed on teachers these days I am not sure .

Most of those pupils are not thick at all..

Could it be they need Jamie's School Dinners ??

hathaway

Re: What is the problem??

Postby hathaway » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:45 pm

jockstrap wrote:Have the Unteachables failed at school or has School failed them?

Most of those pupils are not thick at all..

Could it be that the lack of discipline has landed the education into trouble, thus leaving children such as these without the motivation or incentive to do any school work.

Jockstrap, you were at school at the same time as I was, where did it all go wrong? There were not many children such as the unteachables in our classrooms.

jockstrap

Postby jockstrap » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:45 pm

hathaway wrote:Jockstrap, you were at school at the same time as I was, where did it all go wrong? There were not many children such as the unteachables in our classrooms.

Not too sure on that one although we had our troublemakers but the cane controlled that in most cases.

The difference was probably that pupils who were like those shown on The Unteachables tonight just sat there not learning anything and left school at 15 without any qualifications.

jockstrap

Postby jockstrap » Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:26 am

Thinking some more about this there was a hint of what the difference might be.
We were never expected to spend all day at a desk sitting down paying attention.

We had PE twice a week and games another day and CCF another day.

We also had at least 2 practical lessons in (Chemistry and Physics) a week which were spent on our feet.

We also had clubs and societies that met during the lunch hour.

Return to “The Unteachables”