Our Gardens

A general forum to chat about anything that is not about Television. Your favourite band, footie team or whatever you want.
hathaway

Our Gardens

Postby hathaway » Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:27 pm

Have you noticed anything unusual for this time of year in the garden? I have, during the last couple of days, seen three butterflies and one catapiller.
I have also noticed that the blackbirds are rummaging for nesting material - they have definitely been fooled by the milder weather!

browneyes

Postby browneyes » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:11 pm

I've noticed there are still lots of wasps flying around <cringes> I hate wasps and can't see the point of them. Let the bees do it that's what I say!

hathaway

Postby hathaway » Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:57 pm

Frosts are forecast for this week. Will that be the end of my flower show for this year? Waterlillies in the pond, Geraniums in pots, daliahs and roses in the borders with nasturtiums trailing in amongst them, I am hoping that my garden is sheltered enough for them to survive for a while longer.

The_Boss
Site Admin

Postby The_Boss » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:43 pm

Well there have been plenty of frosts and snow even since the last posts about gardens . It must mean everyone has hibernated for the winter.

I have been watching for the primroses to start flowering here but they are very late compared to last year no signs at all as yet where as last year they were out by the end of January.

Maybe they realise Easter is late this year :D

hathaway

Postby hathaway » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:35 pm

My primroses are not flowering yet but there are quite a few in my mum's garden.

Polyanthus are flowering in my garden though, along with the Christmas roses, winter jasmine and crocuses. There is also a pink flower with fairly large leaves but I do not know the name for it. Something else I spotted today, is a daffodil bud. The tree outside on the grass verge is showing the pink buds ready to burst into bloom, can't wait. :)

Roll on Spring! The frogs have already started to call each other so it will not be long now :lol:

hathaway

Postby hathaway » Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:48 pm

The pond is now full of frog spawn, yellow butterflies and bumble bees are fluttering around the flowers in the garden and I have just found a ladybird, the first I have seen this year.

I also noticed this morning that the sticky buds of the chestnut trees are beginning to break open and the hedgerows are now clothed in pinks, whites and yellows with the spring flowering shrubs. The local park and many of the public roads are lined with daffodils and polyanthus, such a joy to behold.

Return to “Chill Zone”