PHYSICS Water can run up hill !!

A general forum to chat about anything that is not about Television. Your favourite band, footie team or whatever you want.
jockstrap

PHYSICS Water can run up hill !!

Postby jockstrap » Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:09 pm

Apparently scientists have made water to run uphill :!: :!:

Droplets of water can climb over steps, and up inclines of up to 12 degrees.

Now it seems the law of gravity is being challenged.

Full report at BBC News Website Here

ho-unit!

Postby ho-unit! » Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:44 pm

we'll have t see what dr wilde says about that
The Beagle Boysz 2005!

jockstrap

Postby jockstrap » Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:07 pm

Of course water will travel up hill it is called Capillary Action but this is different I guess.

Over to you Doc W I guess

Doc W

The leidenfrost effect

Postby Doc W » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:35 pm

If a surface is hot enough it can vapourise the bottom of a droplet and , because water vapour is a poor conductor, the unvapourised water sits on a 'cloud' of steam. This is what makes a drop of water 'dance around' on a frying pan or hotplate. This is called the Leidenfrost effect. The same effect can be used to plunge a wet hand into molten lead uninjured and has been suggested as an explanation of fire walking. The people who walk over hot coals in bare feet often walk on wet grass first.

My understanding of how the 'uphill water' works is that there are repeated small slopes on the surface which act to direct the pressure of this steam layer so as to force the droplet in a particular direction. This means that one can control the way the droplet moves by the design of the pattern of slopes. So instead of dancing around randomly it goes where you want it to go. The 'uphill' bit is slightly misleading, though it does seem possible to drive it up a small gradient this way. Very clever!

Capillary action is a different thing and relies on surface tension I think.
Doc W

The_Boss
Site Admin

Postby The_Boss » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:04 pm

It is all very interesting :!:

From the point of view that discoveries are still being made in Physics and the fact that the research has a possible practical use.

The practial use is similar to the one I was thinking about a few weeks back but from a different direction of turning waste heat from processors back into energy or electricity.

It is all very exciting. :lol:

Return to “Chill Zone”